The countryside of Emilia Romagna is full of picturesque villages and vineyards that still remain untouched by mass tourism. In this bike tour in Emilia Romagna, you will sample local wine, discover urban graffiti in a small town, and taste local food, literally off the beaten track!
Trip in a nutshell
- Ideal for: bike lovers, off the beaten path seekers
- Highlights: street art in Dozza, biking off-road around gullies
- What you will learn: history of Umberto Cesari wines
- Local professional guide throughout your entire trip
- Length: 3 days, 2 nights
- Starts from Castel San Pietro and ends in Castel San Pietro (day trips from there)
- Transportation: mountain bike
- Accommodation and meals: family-run Agriturismo/hotels; typical meals at the farm or in traditional restaurants
- Price: starting from €830 per person (based on a group of 4 people).
DESCRIPTION OF TOUR
We will be riding at a slow pace through medieval hamlets, villages, and tiny churches up the hill. Cycling and food tasting will be our activities and we will try to keep the right balance between the two 😉 .
The itinerary will be customized to your preference and fitness level and while you ride you will learn about the history of this land and the territory characterized by hills, gullies, and a couple of small lakes.
Ready to travel off the beaten path?
DAY 1 We start riding uphills and we will be rewarded by a wine tasting session
This bike tour in Emilia Romagna starts in Cantina Cesari. In fact, we will ride uphill for 30 Km and 600 mt gradients. Are you wondering if you can make it? No worries, e-bikes are also available!
We will finally reach the imposing Cesari mansion surrounded by 355 hectares of land, where winemaking is a serious affair since 1960. You can visit the cellar, learn about different wine varieties, of course, taste them!
In the afternoon we can proceed still uphill to a viewpoint or just make our way back on time for Aperitivo.
DAY 2 The bike tour in Emilia Romagna meets street art and a castle
On the second day, the itinerary is mostly flat. In the morning we will visit the medieval village of Dozza, where graffiti decorate almost every house. Street art is taken seriously here and each here new artists add to it by taking part in a contest.
We will then continue onto Imola and visit the castle. Lunch will be in a typical trattoria: homemade pasta is the best way to get your energy level back up!
After lunch, we will head back to Castel San Pietro through side roads and call it a day.
DAY 3 Uphills we go again, on the Appennine mountains
We saved the best for last and this day is undoubtedly the most challenging one. First, we will follow the Sillaro river upstream towards San Martino in Pedriolo and its small lakes.
We will have fun driving on gravel roads, fording the river, and into the woods.
Finally, lunch will be in San Clemente … as the road to Castel San Pietro is all downhill from there!
Our bike tour in Emilia Romagna will end with a tasty Aperitivo, to make up for all the calories we burnt!
The program in details
This is an approximate schedule, exact times will be finalized and they might change during the trip.
– Day 1: We start riding uphills and we will be rewarded by a wine tasting session
- 9 am meet in Castel San Pietro, collect your bikes and briefing with the guide
- 12 pm arrive in Cantina Cesari, visit and wine tasting
- 3,00 pm head back to Castel San Pietro or ride up to a viewpoint
- 4,30- 6,30 pm arrive in Castel San Pietro
– Day 2: Dozza street art and Imola: easy peasy!
- 8,30 am depart from hotel to Dozza
- 9,30 am – 11,30 am visit Dozza
- 12,30 pm – 3 pm arrive in Imola, visit the fortress and lunch
- 5,30 pm back in Castel San Pietro
– Day 3: Uphills we go again, on the Appennine mountains
- 8,30 am depart from Castel San Pietro
- 11,30 am arrive in San Martino in Pedriolo
- 1 pm – 3 pm arrive in San Clemente and lunch
- 6,00 pm, back in Castel San Pietro, end of the tour
- Accommodation and breakfast: 2 nights in agriturismo / B&B / hotels 3 or 4 stars (based on double room occupancy)
- 1 wine tasting and 2 meals (lunch)
- Bike rental
- A local professional mountain bike guide throughout your trip
- Pre-trip support and assistance during your trip
Is not included, but can be arranged
- Any other destination/experience not specified in the program
What to bring – useful info
- Bicycle helmet (they can also be rented) and gloves
- 1 light jacket or wrap
- Small daypack that’s comfortable to carry on a bike
- Water bottle