This region offers a lot to be discovered: wine, frescoes, miracles, battles. For this reason, we crafted for you a guided history tour of Abruzzo.
Trip in a nutshell
- Ideal for: foodies, family, guided history tour of Abruzzo lovers
- Highlights: Renaissance frescoes, wine-tasting, and picnic under the olive trees, trip to a Commonwealth War Cemetery
- What you will learn: the story of the oldest Eucharistic Miracle, about Abruzzo’s local wines, the history of the Ortona Battle
- Length: 2 days, 1 night
- Starts from Lanciano and ends in Crecchio
- Transportation: self-drive or car and driver
- Accommodation and meals: family-run b&b / hotels; typical meals in traditional restaurants and a picnic in the countryside
- Price: starting from €360 per person (based on a group of 4 people).
DESCRIPTION OF TOUR
This tour takes you into a beautiful and unknown part of Italy along scenic routes. We will start in Lanciano, then we will continue onto Ortona, and we will learn about the traditions of my home region, along the way.
WWII left a mark on this rural territory and on its people and we will learn about recent history through the eyes of locals.
DAY 1 Lanciano: Faith and Wine tradition
Morning – Discover the oldest Eucharistic Miracle recognized by the Catholic Church
Lanciano is a beautiful medieval city in the heart of Italy. It is rich in monuments and amazing views but it is also an important place for all Christians. In fact, the Franciscan Church of Lanciano is the home of the oldest Eucharistic Miracle. Your guide will explain this incredible event. Firstly, and you will discover this true jewel of art, off the beaten path. Afterward, we will have lunch in a traditional Abruzzo restaurant.
Afternoon – Wine-tasting and picnic under the olive trees
After a morning full of art and history you really deserve a good break. Nothing better than a countryside atmosphere and a picnic under the olive trees. For this reason, we will move towards the coast for a perfect shot at the Abbey of San Giovanni in Venere. This Benedictine Monastery stands on a hill overlooking the sea. Later on, we will visit a family-run winery and discover the wine tradition of Abruzzo. What a great opportunity to visit the cellar, learn about the wines and, of course, taste them! Finally, a picnic in the countryside is the perfect way to end the day.
DAY 2: Guided history tour of Abruzzo
Morning – Ortona and the Gustav Line
There are at least two good reasons to visit Ortona. First, Its majestic Castle and its surrounding. Second, the city’s role in WWII history. At lunch, your guide will take you to her favorite family-owned restaurant.
Afternoon – The Canadian War Cemetery and the Castle where the King slept.
After lunch, we will start by visiting the Canadian War Cemetery to pay homage to the soldiers that lost their lives in battle. We will then continue to the small city of Crecchio where we will see the castle where the last King of Italy took refuge before fleeing to Brindisi.
The program in details
This is an approximate schedule, exact times will be finalized and they might change during the trip.
– Day 1: Lanciano: Faith and Wine tradition
- Meet your guide Lanciano, Abruzzo at 10.00 am
- 10.00 – 12.30 pm Lanciano City Tour (Church of the Eucharistic Miracle included)
- 12.30 – 2.30 pm lunch in an ancient Church Cloister transformed into a typical restaurant
- 2.30 – 4,30 pm transfer and visit of the Abbey of San Giovanni in Venere
- 5.00 – 6.00 pm transfer and visit of the Winery with Wine-tasting
- 6.30 – 8.00 pm picnic under the olive-trees
- After the picnic, return to your hotel
– Day 2: Guided history tour of Abruzzo
- Meet your guide in Ortona, Abruzzo at 10.00 am
- 10.00 – 12.30 am Ortona City Tour
- 12.30- 2.30 pm lunch in a local restaurant
- 2.30 – 3.30 pm visit Canadian War Cemetery
- 3.30 – 6.00 pm transfer and visit Crecchio
- 6.30 pm end of the tour
- 1 night in a hotel (based on double room occupancy) and breakfast
- 2 typical lunches (Ortona and Lanciano)
- Cellar visit and picnic under the olive grooves
- A local professional English speaking guide throughout your trip
- Pre-trip support and assistance during your trip
Is not included, but can be arranged
- Transportation throughout the tour
- Any other destination/experience not specified in the program
What to bring – useful info
- Pack one nicer outfit for evenings out (optional 😉)
- 1 light jacket or wrap
- 1 pair of comfortable shoes
- Small daypack that’s comfortable to carry
- Water bottle