On this 20th century Florence heritage tour you will learn about the life of famous florentine and we will visit the Novecento Museum. Florence has an extraordinary regenerative attitude: it has reinvented itself throughout the centuries and pioneered many areas such as the Italian language, architecture, fashion and wine.
Trip in a nutshell
- Ideal for: history buffs and curious travelers
- Highlights: Novecento museum, Casamonti collection
- What you will learn: that Florence has more to offer beyond iconic Renaissance art!
- Local professional guide throughout your entire trip
- Length: 4 hours
- Starts from Santa Maria Novella train station
- Transportation: walking tour
- Price: starting from €79 per person (based on a group of 4 people).
DESCRIPTION OF TOUR
Our 20th century Florence heritage tour will make you travel back in time to better understand the city of today. Florence has indeed a long heritage. In fact, from the Romans passing through the Middle Ages we arrive at the glorious Renaissance, then Florentine Baroque. The city finally becomes the capital of Italy from 1865 to 1871, showcasing a renewed neoclassical style.
We will start at Santa Maria Novella train station. This building was erected between 1932 and 1934 on a pre-existing station and it is a remarkable example of Italian modernism.
We will then visit the Novecento Museum within the walls of the ancient Spedale delle Leopoldine. This museum opened in 2012 and it showcases artworks from De Chirico, Guttuso, Morandi, and many others.
Finally, we will see the Marini museum in the former church of San Pancrazio and admire his almost 200 artworks. Marini was a key artist of the 20th century, focusing mainly on sculptures. As an alternative, we could enjoy the Casamonti collection in the ancient palace Salimbeni who, before welcoming us inside, throws us a message with an emblematic quote on the facade: “Per non dormire”. This private collection showcases artworks from the 20th century as well as temporary exibitions.
I can customize this 20th century Florence heritage tour to your preferences, the learning experience is guaranteed!
- All entrance tickets
- A local professional guide throughout your trip
- Pre-trip support and assistance during your trip
Is not included, but can be arranged
- A meal in a typical restaurant
- Any other destination/experience not specified in the program
What to bring – useful info
- Wear comfortable shoes